With the recently defiant mayors across America promising the new president that they will not obey federal law when it comes to illegal immigration, the public needs to understand just how outrageous and problematic this will be.
Literally, thousands of American citizens -- decent, law-abiding folks just working to feed their families and provide themselves and children with the American dream -- have been murdered, killed in traffic accidents, raped, molested, and robbed by illegal immigrants over the last three decades since Ronald Reagan’s so-called "amnesty."
Some of the murders by these illegal immigrants are so deplorable that they are hard to even write about without becoming emotional.
Here are a just a few examples:
- In January 2013, illegal immigrant Hermilo Moralez, now 24, was convicted of the brutal murder of Joshua Wilkerson, 18, of Pearland, Texas. Moralez beat, strangled and tortured Wilkerson on November 16, 2010 until he died.
- On July 24, 2015, Russian illegal immigrant, Igor Zubko murdered 22-year-old Shayley Estes in her Phoenix, Arizona home. When he was caught by authorities, Zubko was attempting to board a flight to San Francisco because of its sanctuary city policy. Prior to her murder, Estes obtained a restraining order against Zubko due to his physical threats against her. Following his being served with the restraining order, Zubko then began to threaten Estes with death. He followed through with his these threats ten days after the restraining order was served.
- On July 12, 2012, Juan Zacarias Lopez Tzun, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, and an individual with a history of prior arrests, including a DUI conviction, a new pending DUI case, and a 2009 grand theft arrest, killed Dominic Daniel Durden, 30, a Riverside County, California sheriff’s dispatcher. Tzun turned his truck in front of Durden’s motorcycle, causing the crash in which Durden lost his life. In spite of his prior arrests and conviction, Superior Court Judge, Rafael A. Arreola, sentenced Tzun to a mere nine months in jail.
- While driving drunk in 2011 in Houston, Texas, Johoan Rodriguez, drove his vehicle into a police barricade, striking and killing Houston Police Officer Kevin Will.
- On May 12, 2014, illegal immigrant Raul Silva Corona, while driving drunk and the wrong way on an Arizona freeway, lamed his vehicle into Mesa, Arizona Police Officer Brandon Mendoza, 32.
- On March 24, 2008, Pedro Espinoza, a 19-year-old illegal immigrant and 18th Street Gang member with a long history of criminal activity, murdered football star Jamiel Shaw, 17, in Los Angeles. Espinoza had been released from jail just the day before the murder for a charge of assault with a deadly weapon. I had the pleasure of meeting Shaw’s father, Jamiel Shaw Sr., at a rally shortly after the murder and can attest to the trauma the Shaw family endured.
- On April 24, 2016, illegal immigrant Jose Francisco Flores Santos, 29, crossed the center line and drove his vehicle head-on into a vehicle driven by Brandy Lee Thorne, killing her and her unborn child. Also injured in the crash were Santos’ passengers, also suspected of being in the country illegally. Santos admitted to authorities he was in the U.S. illegally.
I won’t go into detail in the case of Kate Steinle, allegedly murdered in front of her father on a San Francisco pier by an illegal immigrant who had been previously deported six times. San Francisco is home to thousands of illegal immigrants, and is yet another of the so-called "sanctuary" cities in the United States. This case has been widely covered and yet, still led to Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) -- the former Minority Leader in the U.S. Senate -- preventing the passage of “Kate’s Law”, which would have provided a mandatory five-year federal prison sentence to any violent criminal who again enters the U.S. illegally.
What I will go into is what Senator Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, discovered in his investigation of crimes committed by illegal immigrants in 2013 and 2014.
In those years alone, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) set free 66,000 illegal immigrant criminals who had more than 166,000 convictions. These included: 30,000 for drunk or drug driving; 414 for kidnapping; more than 11,000 for rapes or other sexual assaults; and 395 homicides.
Worse, thousands of those released have already been convicted of new crimes, including felonies.
A Boston Globe review of 323 illegal immigrant criminals released in New England alone from 2008 to 2012 found that as many as 30 percent committed new offenses, including rape, attempted murder, and child molestation, a rate “markedly higher than Immigration and Customs officials have suggested to Congress in the past.”
What shall be done to prevent cities and states that violate federal immigration law by their defiant challenge to continue with their sanctuary policies?
According to the Center for Immigration Studies, the following recommendations should be followed:
• Rescind the Obama administration actions and policies that encourage and enable sanctuaries, including clarifying that local agencies are expected to comply with detainers;• Cut federal funding to sanctuaries;• Initiate civil litigation to enjoin state or local laws and policies that egregiously obstruct enforcement of federal immigration laws and regulations;• Selectively initiate prosecution under the alien harboring-and-shielding statute, which is a federal felony; and• When requested, issue administrative warrants to accompany detainers as a reasonable accommodation to state or local concerns. Negotiating over which aliens will be subject to detainers, as is current policy, is not a reasonable accommodation.• Direct ICE to begin publishing a weekly report providing the public with information on all criminal aliens released by the sanctuaries.
Beyond what the Center suggests, I submit the following for the incoming president to consider:
8 U.S.C. 1324 of federal immigration law states:
“Any person who…knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, …; encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law; or engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts, shall be….fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both...”
As president-elect Donald Trump continually maintained throughout his campaign, without borders you have no country.
As the city of Chicago shows, we have enough criminal violence being committed by our own citizens. We don’t need more murder and mayhem by illegal immigrants.
Finally, I submit that it is also criminal that many in the Democratic Party who support the harboring of criminal illegal immigrants are doing so solely for votes. That, in itself, is what is truly ‘deplorable’, borrowing a line from Hillary Clinton.