Muslim terrorists strike again, kill hundreds in Nigeria
The Islamist terrorist group known as Boko Haram killed hundreds of people in Nigeria, according to various media reports. The slaughter of more than 300 residents of Gamboru Ngala – a town in northeast Nigeria – took place when security forces had left the area unguarded in order to rescue schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram last week. According to a May 8 report by Aljazeera, Boko Haram burned people to death in Gamboru Ngala in an attack that lasted several hours. Nigerian Senator Ahmed Zanna confirmed the death toll.
The effectiveness of President Goodluck Jonathan in stemming the violence has been seriously questioned even while the United Kingdom announced that it is sending a team of security experts to aid in the search for the 276 schoolgirls who were taken by Boko Haram from a school in Chibok in Borno State, northern Nigeria, on April 14. A group of eleven girls were abducted from Warabe, a village in northeastern Nigeria, on May 6. They are reportedly aged 12 to 15.
There are reports in Nigeria that U.S. security experts are arriving on May 8 to join teams from the UK and France. British prime minister David Cameron has condemned the abduction as “pure evil” while President Barack Obama chimed in to say that incident is “awful” and that the US will do “everything we can” to aid Nigeria. Saying that US advisors are drawn from the "military, law enforcement, and other agencies", Obama said in an ABC interview that the US will seek to "identify where in fact these girls might be and provide them help." Belatedly, Obama also denounced Boko Haram as "one of the worst regional or local terrorist organizations." He also said, "This may be the event that helps to mobilize the entire international community to finally do something against this horrendous organization that's perpetrated such a terrible crime," he said. Michelle Obama has called upon Boko Haram to release their captives.
Prime Minister Cameron said on May 7 to parliament, "I'm the father of two young daughters and my reaction is the same as every father or mother in this land or the world.” He added, "This is an act of pure evil, it has united people across the planet to stand with Nigeria to help find these children and return them to their parents.” He said that elements of the British defense ministry, and other government agencies, will provide aid to Nigeria.
The leader of the Islamic sect, Abubakar Shekau, claimed responsibility for the abduction and boasted that he would "sell your girls in the marketplace" while also hinting that he would kill the girls and sell their organs.
Nigerian police are offering a reward of $300,000 reward for information leading to the rescue of the abducted children. Nigerian President Jonathan promised in a May 5 televised “chat” that his government was sending a high-level delegation to Borno state to coordinate rescue efforts.
A drone got too close for comfort amid a group of kangaroos and joeys.
This page took 0.1484seconds to load