Right to Life of Michigan’s advertising account on Facebook was reinstated after the pro-life nonprofit said it had been  wrongly targeted as a “fake news” group. A spokesperson for Facebook claimed that the group’s ads had been mistakenly taken down.
 
On April 18, Facebook shut down the Michigan Right to Life ad account, according to the nonprofit. The group said that it had received an automated explanation that the account was disabled “for running misleading ads that resulted in high negative feedback from people on Facebook.”
 
Speculating, Michigan Right to Life concluded that Facebook shut down the account because of an advertisement it ran to promote the organization’s blog entry headlined “Grand Rapids abortionist has license suspended, fined $10,000.” The post on Facebook included an image of a sleeping baby. “Our most reasonable guess is that a Facebook staff person hostile to pro-life views decided to block our ad account based on a personal animus or snap judgment regarding the facts of a true news story,” Michigan Right to Life said in a Monday blog post.
 
It was only after The Detroit News asked about the shut-off that Facebook reinstated the Facebook page. “Our team processes millions of advertising images each week, and we sometimes make mistakes,” a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement. “This image does not violate our ad policies. We apologize for the error and have let the advertiser know we are approving their ad."
 
The ad account has been restored. However, a spokesman for Michigan Right to Life said the group had not been contacted by Facvebook nor did it receive an explanation. 
 
Right to Life has run 10 Facebook ads over the past year, reaching about 233,602 people, according to the organization, which filed a complaint against Facebook with the Better Business Bureau in California. The spokesman for the group that Facebook could act again against them without notice. 

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link

Spero News editor Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. His first novel 'Shaken Earth', is available at Amazon.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS