According to a recent Harvard-Harris poll found that the great majority of registered American voters do not agree with members of the Democrat party, including Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, that the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) should be abolished. Pollsters asked 1,448 registered voters, ‘”Do you think that the Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, known as ICE, should be disbanded or not?”

According to the poll, which was collected June 24-25, 69 percent of those responding said ICE should not be abolished. On the other hand, 31 percent said the immigration enforcement arm should be disbanded. In addition, the survey asked voters: “Do you think we need stricter or looser enforcement of our immigration laws?”

According to Harvard/Harris, 70 percent of the respondents answered that the United States should have “stricter” enforcement of its immigration laws, while 30 percent preferred “looser” enforcement.

“The results reflect a nationally representative sample,” said a release from Harvard-Harris. “Results were weighted for age within gender, region, race/ethnicity, marital status, household size, income, employment, political party, political ideology, and education where necessary to align them with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.”

According to the group’s website, Mark Penn and Stephen Ansolabehere supervised the poll. Penn served as Bill Clinton's pollster for 6 years during the latter's presidency. Ansolabehere is Professor of Government at Harvard and runs the the Harvard Center for American Political Studies (CAPS).

Also according to Harvard/Harris, President Donald Trump’s approval is the highest it has been in more than a year, and has been trending up steadily since March of 2018. It currently stands at 47 percent. “The President’s approval on specific issues has also seen a bump – approval numbers on stimulating jobs (58%), his handling of the economy (57%), fighting terrorism (57%), foreign affairs (47%), and administering the government (45%) are at the highest recorded by this poll. Only his handling of immigration (46%) failed to reach a new high.”

“Optimism in the direction of the country is also at its highest since the beginning of the Trump presidency, but still lags below majority approval. Today, 39% of voters say the U.S. is on the right track, the highest recorded in the CAPS-Harris Poll, compared to 52% who say it is not. Forty-seven percent of voters also express confidence in the direction of the economy (compared to 39% who say it is off on the wrong track), and 69% believe the U.S. economy is strong today – the highest recorded number for this confidence variable.”

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link

Spero News editor Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. His first novel 'Shaken Earth', is available at Amazon.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS