Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion
Username: Password: Save Password Forgot your Password?
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion

KJV Copyright

• Adminreputation
    • 10543 Posts
    Forum Admin  
    Member since 07/25/2001
    View Astralis's full profile or recent posts
What I'm reading/watching/listening to now.
Posted on 07/31/2002 at 18:58:04  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Many KJV enthusiasts claim the KJV is not copyrighted so it must truly be the only Word of God.

Well, what many don't realize is that the KJV is protected, even today, by the copyright holder - the Crown of the United Kingdom.

The following is a conversation I had with my Protestant friend and includes a letter from Her Majesty's Stationery Office (copyright office) that was sent to me yesterday after I made an inquiry into the copyright status of the KJV:

Protestant:
the KJV is not copyrighted

Astralis
First of all, the KJV is copyrighted and if the Queen's Governement of the UK wanted to sue you in a UK court they have every right to do it. The US does not recognize the UK's retaining of the copyright after so many years so Her Majesty's Government cannot sue you in an American court but in a different country where you diffused the KJV and where it recognizes the UK's copyright, then you can be held liable for "damages".

Also, the idea that a Bible is copyrighted cannot truly be a defense for a different translation of a Bible that isn't protected. Translations of the Bible are copyrighted - not the Bible itself. You can find the MSS that you want to use and translate them yourself and make your own Bible if you desire and you can own the copyright. I see nothing wrong with this as long as your scholarship is up to par.

Protestant
First, where did you get your information? Certain productions of the KJV including the Authentic AV1611 Oxford can and are protected as a complete work (i.e. Name Rights, references, word and phrase dictionaries, pictorals, etc...) but, the actual verses from the beginning of Genesis through the end of Revelation are NOT and CANNOT be copyrighted even in the courts of England.

The work, while authorized and ordered by King James, was performed by many scholars of various backgrounds including Jewish men assisting in the formats and requirements of the numerically based Hebrew language of the Masoretic Texts or Old Testament. Anyone whether in England, USA or, ANYWHERE in the world can freely and rightfully copy the Scriptures of the King James. They just cannot copyright them unless they make major changes of both words and wording arrangement which are unique from the already numerous works already in print.

This "copyright" issue was attempted once in England where the Church of England (Anglican) attempted to stop the use of the KJV Bible in all the various sects of Christianity that were diverse and not in line with their doctrine. They attempted to get Royal claim to the writings and translated work via the Queen. When their courts and parliament refused them on lack of rights, they attempted to influence a royal decree. I believe it was Elizabeth who saw through their front to the evil intentions and likened these few church leaders to the apostacy and evil desires to control what belonged to God and thereby control men just as the RCC had done for centuries. She issued a decree that forever stopped them in their tracks that, while James IV of England also known as James I of Scotland decreed the work, the Bible commonly called the "King James Bible" was not nor could ever be the property of men of flesh but of the most Holy God, His Christ and, because of the Church's own proclaimation that the Scriptures were devine and devinely inspired and authored, that therefore the authorship is of the Holy Spirit.

This was the most profound and everlasting decree over religious written works ever made. For it clearly decreed what God has said all along: "My Word..."

Astralis
Apparently, you don't believe me and I should ask you, why not and where did YOU get your information?

I got my information from Her Majesty's Government and the following is the email that I received which should clear this up once and for all. Whew!

quote:
from the community...
    • 0reputation
    • 221 Posts
    Member since 05/02/2002
    View JMody's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 07/31/2002 at 21:06:00  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
If I remember from my intellectual property law training (geared more towards patents than copyrights), a copyright belongs to the 'ordering body' -- in this case, King James and not his Highness' scribes and scholars, just as everything I write at work or reasonably related to my work is the copyright of my employer. If the King of England is an institution and not a person, then, yes, the copyright can conceivably go on forever -- a copyright under a corporation lasts until the dissolution of that corporation, even under US law today.

AND, the Bible is not copyrightable (word?), that is correct. However, translations ARE copyrightable. My father and his design partner in college translated the Bernoullis' Hydraulica and Hydrodynamica from Latin to English as part of their PhD, and instead of reverting to the University of Iowa, the copyright was sold to Dover Publishing -- obviously, the copyright of the translation.

Non nobis Domine, sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam
JMody
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
    View alcovey's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 07/31/2002 at 21:40:34  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
quote:

Many KJV enthusiasts claim the KJV is not copyrighted so it must truly be the only Word of God.

Well, what many don't realize is that the KJV is protected, even today, by the copyright holder - the Crown of the United Kingdom.

Fascinating! This raises several ethical and moral questions - is it a sin to copy the KJV without permission? Just because the U.S. does not recognize the copyright (is it 100 yrs for 'public domain' to kick in?) isn't it still wrong? Like the Chinese pirating all our software - they thumb their nose at our laws and the Chinese government winks at it. - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

The KJV Only position is weak and built on faulty logic, but this adds a whole new twist!

And what JMody posted sounds right as well.

Id quod me non interimit confirmat!
Allen
Go to Top of Page
    • 0reputation
    • 221 Posts
    Member since 05/02/2002
    View JMody's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 08/01/2002 at 18:42:00  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Under US law as it stands right now, if I remember correctly, a copyright lasts for the life of the individual holder plus 50 years. I'm not sure about corporate holders, but I think it goes until the "entity" is dissolved -- consider the author JRR Tolkien as an example. He sold the copyright to something like the JRR Tolkien Foundation, consisting of himself and his family. This foundation will maintain the copyright until it is dissolved, no matter how many generations of Tolkiens come and go.

Non nobis Domine, sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam
JMody
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
Posted on 11/30/2002 at 07:47:49  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Astralis/Admin
quote:

The following is a conversation I had with my Protestant friend and includes a letter from Her Majesty's Stationery Office (copyright office) that was sent to me yesterday after I made an inquiry into the copyright status of the KJV:

Protestant:
the KJV is not copyrighted

Astralis
First of all, the KJV is copyrighted and if the Queen's Governement of the UK wanted to sue you in a UK court they have every right to do it. The US does not recognize the UK's retaining of the copyright after so many years so Her Majesty's Government cannot sue you in an American court but in a different country where you diffused the KJV and where it recognizes the UK's copyright, then you can be held liable for "damages".

Also, the idea that a Bible is copyrighted cannot truly be a defense for a different translation of a Bible that isn't protected. Translations of the Bible are copyrighted - not the Bible itself. You can find the MSS that you want to use and translate them yourself and make your own Bible if you desire and you can own the copyright. I see nothing wrong with this as long as your scholarship is up to par.

Protestant
First, where did you get your information? Certain productions of the KJV including the Authentic AV1611 Oxford can and are protected as a complete work (i.e. Name Rights, references, word and phrase dictionaries, pictorals, etc...) but, the actual verses from the beginning of Genesis through the end of Revelation are NOT and CANNOT be copyrighted even in the courts of England.

The work, while authorized and ordered by King James, was performed by many scholars of various backgrounds including Jewish men assisting in the formats and requirements of the numerically based Hebrew language of the Masoretic Texts or Old Testament. Anyone whether in England, USA or, ANYWHERE in the world can freely and rightfully copy the Scriptures of the King James. They just cannot copyright them unless they make major changes of both words and wording arrangement which are unique from the already numerous works already in print.

This "copyright" issue was attempted once in England where the Church of England (Anglican) attempted to stop the use of the KJV Bible in all the various sects of Christianity that were diverse and not in line with their doctrine. They attempted to get Royal claim to the writings and translated work via the Queen. When their courts and parliament refused them on lack of rights, they attempted to influence a royal decree. I believe it was Elizabeth who saw through their front to the evil intentions and likened these few church leaders to the apostacy and evil desires to control what belonged to God and thereby control men just as the RCC had done for centuries. She issued a decree that forever stopped them in their tracks that, while James IV of England also known as James I of Scotland decreed the work, the Bible commonly called the "King James Bible" was not nor could ever be the property of men of flesh but of the most Holy God, His Christ and, because of the Church's own proclaimation that the Scriptures were devine and devinely inspired and authored, that therefore the authorship is of the Holy Spirit.

This was the most profound and everlasting decree over religious written works ever made. For it clearly decreed what God has said all along: "My Word..."

Astralis
Apparently, you don't believe me and I should ask you, why not and where did YOU get your information?

I got my information from Her Majesty's Government and the following is the email that I received which should cl
Go to Top of Page
    • Adminreputation
    • 10543 Posts
    Forum Admin  
    Member since 07/25/2001
Posted on 12/01/2002 at 11:54:55  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Alcovey,

Please use it! The forum is an open-forum (redundant I guess) so you can copy and paste anything from the forum onto any other forum.

Astralis
In sempiterna saecula
Links | FAQ
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
Posted on 12/01/2002 at 12:55:20  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
quote:

Alcovey,

Please use it! The forum is an open-forum (redundant I guess) so you can copy and paste anything from the forum onto any other forum.

Astralis
In sempiterna saecula
Links | FAQ

Thanks! Just wanted to be sure. It was a great point - but the Catholics on the Board pretty much answered that one. As you must have known (I hadn't really encountered the Fundamentalists too much) they use the copyright issue as an argument against other translations - they link the NIV to to Harper-Collins who does the Satanic Bible - coincidence???? I politely informed them that the Mormons use the KJV..coincidence???? Conspiracies everywhere I tell you! Good thing the Vatican presses don't put out the NIV, or we'd all be in trouble!

God Bless,

Id quod me non interimit confirmat!
Allen

Home Page
Go to Top of Page
    • Adminreputation
    • 10543 Posts
    Forum Admin  
    Member since 07/25/2001
Posted on 12/01/2002 at 16:32:58  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Oneness Pentacostals use the KJV exclusively and they get from it that the Trinity does not exist. Go figure.

Astralis
In sempiterna saecula
Links | FAQ
Go to Top of Page

Newest Topics

by Astralis...

Recent Topics

Newest Updates

Jump To:
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion © 2002-2014 Spero Subscribe by Email RSS Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000