Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion
Username: Password: Save Password Forgot your Password?
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion

Is Worry a Sin?

• 0reputation
    • 6 Posts
    Member since 04/19/2006
    View David H's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 05/05/2006 at 20:55:44  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Is Worry a Sin?
by Dr. Larry Ollison, Ph.D.

Have you ever met someone who was a worrier? You know the type. When things are going bad, they worry because things are bad. When things are good, they worry because things might get bad. Well, let me ask you this. Did you know that when you worry, you limit God and what He can do for you? According to the Bible, worry is a sin! When we worry, we are not in faith and anything that is not of faith is sin.

Several times in Jesus’ famous “Sermon on the Mount,” He addressed the subject of worry. In Matthew chapter 6, verses 25, 27, 28, 31 and 34, Jesus commands us not to worry. But why should it matter if we worry or not. What’s the big deal anyway? Well, it’s this way.

Worry, which is a type of fear, is the opposite of faith. In the English language we have words that have opposite meanings. If I were to ask you the opposite of hot, you would immediately say cold. If I asked you the opposite of up, you would quickly say down. If I asked you the opposite of east, you would immediately say west. Why? Because they are opposites. They not only are opposed to each other, they can not exist together at the same time.

Sometimes when you translate from one language to another, the meaning can be lost. That’s the case with worry. In the Hebrew language the opposite of worry is faith. Remember worry is a type of fear.

In the same way that you can not be going up and down at the same time because they are opposites, you can not be in worry and be in faith at the same time. When you are in faith, you are not in worry. And when you are in worry, you are not in faith.

When Jesus commanded us over and over again to not worry, He knew that worry would kill our faith. Is that so bad to have dead faith? After all who needs faith anyway?

Well... In Ephesians 2:8 the Bible says we are saved through faith. In James 5:15 the Bible says the prayer of faith will heal the sick. In Hebrews 11:6 the Bible says that without faith it is impossible to please God. In James 1:6 we are told that if we want wisdom all we have to do is ask, but if we don’t ask in faith, the Bible says in verse 6, we won’t get anything. And in Romans 14:23 it says that anything that is not of faith is sin.

So, who needs faith? According to the Bible, God’s Holy Word, only those who want to be saved, healed, who want wisdom, who want to please God and who want to stay out of sin need faith. To me that makes faith extremely important, and it also explains why Satan hates it.

Worry is a tool of Satan. He knows that if he can get you to worry, you will not be in faith. When you are not in faith, you will be ineffective as a Christian. So today I will tell you the same thing Jesus did. Do not worry. No matter how bad things look, do not worry.

Remember, as Christians we walk by faith and not by what we see anyway. So when things look bad, look through the eyes of faith and worry will flee.
from the community...
What I'm reading/watching/listening to now.
Posted on 05/06/2006 at 05:45:02  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Work as if everything depended on you, pray as if everything depended on God.
"You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You." St. Augustine of Hippo
Go to Top of Page
    • 0reputation
    • 16 Posts
    Member since 04/29/2006
    View Star's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 05/06/2006 at 09:36:44  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Seems to me that worry is a human thing. The unknown can be frightening (you expect your daughter home at 11 PM and she doesn't show up....2 AM comes and you are really frightened that something happened to her). I think it's a normal and natural human thing, but not a sin......a fault maybe. Most people are very concerned with what is happening in the here and now (so much to think of each and every day) and not thinking along spiritual lines. I think Jesus was thinking on a different level and he means not to worry because no matter what happens, good or bad, we are going to end up in a good place if we follow the two greatest commandments. But we don't think of that. We think, "Where is my daughter? She should be home by now!" It's normal and natural to be concerned bordering on worry.
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
    View alcovey's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 05/06/2006 at 10:38:44  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Worry is a normal human emotion. It would be abnormal not to worry at times. Excessive or morbid worry, that would be a matter of intemperance. The WoF teaching has it skewed on this point as well. Like condemning all sickness to be of the devil, or the prohibition of all alcohol or smoking, it fails to have a balanced overall approach - and in the end, while it promises liberty, it brings people under bondage to an ideal that is not Scriptural nor practical.
In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 10/21/2007 at 23:12:57  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Worry is just temptation...I believe when worry overwhelms us, then it is considered sin. We become slaves to anxiety when we dwell on negative thoughts for too long. Basically, we give authority to our anxiety, putting it before God. It shakes our faith, and eventually it can cause us to sin.
I love Joyce Meyer's devotional, "Battlefield of the Mind"....highly recommended reading.
Just remember...... "As he thinketh, so is he!"

The fears of the wicked will all come true; so will the hopes of the godly. - Proverbs 10:24 (nlt)
"Be good, keep your feet dry, your eyes open, your heart at peace and your soul in the joy of Christ." - Thomas Merton

www.percalamus.com
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 10/22/2007 at 03:50:45  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
worry is only a sin for christian scientists..
The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
Flannery O'Connor

www.minmaxsunt.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 05/16/2008 at 11:55:46  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
I agree with acumenCry's post.
Most people worry, but since Jesus told us that we should not worry, do worrysome people constantly sin? If one worries too much, it shows a lack of faith in God. But worry leads to DESPAIR and PRESUMPTION which are sins against the Holy Ghost. It seems that worry leads us to these sins, like how venial sins lead us to mortal sins.
Edited by caroline.malin on 05/16/2008 11:57:40
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 05/16/2008 at 12:25:09  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Feelings as such cannot be sins. Sin requires intent and how many worriers intend to worry?

The more an era is engulfed in the night of sin and estrangement from God the more it needs souls united to God. And God does not permit a deficiency. The greatest figures of prophecy and sanctity step forth out of the darkest night.

Saint Teresa Benedicta
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 05/16/2008 at 13:22:00  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
quote:
Originally posted by ave maria gratia plena

Feelings as such cannot be sins. Sin requires intent and how many worriers intend to worry?

Envy is a sin and also a feeling. So is lust. If we do not reject bad thoughts and feelings within ourselves, then it would be as intentional sinning.
Go to Top of Page
What I'm reading/watching/listening to now.
Posted on 05/16/2008 at 13:31:59  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Once one fails to reject envy or lust, there is intent to persist in them. That, I think, was AMGP's point, and I think it agrees with yours.

Plus, worry can't be compared with lust and envy, since it isn't one of the seven capital sins.
"You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You." St. Augustine of Hippo
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 05/17/2008 at 02:15:34  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
A sin as such requires an intention to perform an act contrary to the good. This holds even if the act is not subsequently carried out. Lust would be an intention to fornicate, envy requires an intention to possess oneself of another's traits, status, abilities, or situation. If these intentions remain confined to the realm of fantasy or malicious imagination they are nevertheless related to acts since one wishes to do the things about which one fantasizes. Worry however is a heightened state of anxiety, Joseph and Mary may have worried greatly when they could not find Jesus for three days was that sinful?

The Catholic Encyclopaedia has this to say about sin http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm

quote:
In every sinful act two things must be considered, the substance of the act and the want of rectitude or conformity (St. Thomas, I-II:72:1). The act is something positive. The sinner intends here and now to act in some determined matter, inordinately electing that particular good in defiance of God's law and the dictates of right reason. The deformity is not directly intended, nor is it involved in the act so far as this is physical, but in the act as coming from the will which has power over its acts and is capable of choosing this or that particular good contained within the scope of its adequate object, i.e. universal good (St. Thomas, "De malo", Q. 3, a. 2, ad 2um). God, the first cause of all reality, is the cause of the physical act as such, the free-will of the deformity (St. Thomas I-II:89:2; "De malo", 3:2). The evil act adequately considered has for its cause the free-will defectively electing some mutable good in place of the eternal good, God, and thus deviating from its true last end.

The more an era is engulfed in the night of sin and estrangement from God the more it needs souls united to God. And God does not permit a deficiency. The greatest figures of prophecy and sanctity step forth out of the darkest night.

Saint Teresa Benedicta
Go to Top of Page

Newest Topics

by David H...

Recent Topics

0 replies

Newest Updates

0 replies
Jump To:
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion © 2002-2014 Spero Subscribe by Email RSS Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000