Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion
Username: Password: Save Password Forgot your Password?
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion

Baptists vs Protestants?

• Adminreputation
    • 10543 Posts
    Forum Admin  
    Member since 07/25/2001
    View Astralis's full profile or recent posts
What I'm reading/watching/listening to now.
Posted on 09/10/2006 at 21:05:42  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
I was checking the stats today and someone came to the site after searching the phrase: "Baptists verus Protestant Religion". I guess they wanted to see what the differences were.
"Look on the bright side, if this is the best they've got around here, in six months we'll be running this planet." (Planet of the Apes)
from the community...
Page: of 11
Next Page
Posted on 09/11/2006 at 03:26:15  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Whenever I mention Spero to people around here (who are mostly Baptist), they always comment on that. They say, "Baptists are Protestant!" in a way which suggests that, to them, if you're not Protestant, you must be Catholic, and they're certainly not Catholic!

So I have to explain to them about Baptists who believe in succession. They always tell me that's a bunch of bunk.
I trust God to lead others to Himself through life's circumstances.
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/16/2006 at 00:29:07  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Baptists ARE Protestants, but surely you know that all Protestants don't believe the same. Some Protestants, still held on to Catholic beliefs, only protesting a few of them, some Protestants, protest all Catholic beliefs, and some Newer Protestant churches,even made their own translations of the bible. But all are still Christians, because the Protestants came from the Catholic church.
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/16/2006 at 07:01:10  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
If one is an IFB, they believe that they were never part of the Catholic Church; therefore, they are not Protestants in their mind.
Edited by Lubellmac on 09/16/2006 07:01:54
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/16/2006 at 07:35:01  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
quote:
Originally posted by Diana Holberg

So I have to explain to them about Baptists who believe in succession. They always tell me that's a bunch of bunk.

Are you refering to "Trail of Blood"

http://www.libertybaptistaz.com/trailofblood.htm

I was given this to read at one point when I was a Baptist.
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/16/2006 at 09:27:51  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Well, yes and no... "Trail of Blood" is, believe it or not, somewhat moderate compared to others. Take, for instance, Some Critical Lectures on Baptist Succession -- there's a doozy! "Critical" -- I'll say!!! In the worst sense of the word...

There's one section in there which does sum up the Baptist successionist position pretty well, though:
    Baptist baptism began with the first Baptist, John. Jesus Christ received His baptism from John who was commissioned and sent by God the Father. Jesus Christ baptized through His disciples during His personal ministry. Following His resurrection, Jesus sent His disciples into all the world to preach and baptize. This they did. The Holy Spirit administers water baptism now by means of His gospel ministers, Christ's gifts to His churches. This gospel system has had an unbroken succession of preachers, administrators and churches since that time. God the Father administered this ONE BAPTISM by John the Baptist. Jesus Christ administered this ONE BAPTISM, through His disciples DURING His personal ministry. The Holy Spirit administers this ONE BAPTISM through the ministers and messengers of the churches, the glory of Christ. Therefore, there is ONE HEAVENLY BAPTISM which is in water, by God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. This is heaven's baptism. Matt. 28:18-20; Matt. 3; Eph. 4:4-6; John 4:1,2; I Cor. 12:13,14.

Jesus Christ constituted the first Baptist church in Jerusalem during His personal ministry. The gospel church then existed in its womb-like condition until after Christ's resurrection. It was lifted into the heavenly realm by Christ's post-resurrection ministry. It then ceased its womb-like condition and came forth. The gospel church grew up at the day of Pentecost. The Holy Spirit empowered it by taking the personal place Jesus Christ vacated when He returned to Heaven. The Jerusalem Church then reached out into all the world by many different Apostles and ministers. Some were merely preaching disciples. Gentile churches became formed. From one of these, the Gentile church at Antioch through the Apostle Paul, the Gospel and its system, spread into the Western world. Once established in the Western World, it has continued unto this day.
Lots of assertions... very little (other than a couple of quotes from Irenaus) from prior to the 1600s to back them up. (Note in Lecture 5 how he turns from historical claims to "testimony" to extend his evidence back to the 1500s.) They acknowledge a gap from the 300s to the 1500s, and really don't seem to feel any pressing need to address that.
I trust God to lead others to Himself through life's circumstances.
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/25/2006 at 17:15:49  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Some baptist take the Word of God out of context and say a person is not a christian or saved unless they get wet first to become a baptist and a christians.
I think they forget about the spiritual baptismo.
I may or may not believe coming forward is a necessary condition for salvation. But, if I clearly taught elsewhere that repentance/belief alone was sufficient no one would think coming forward is necessary for salvation,or water baptism is necessary for salvation.
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/25/2006 at 18:09:57  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Proof of the flaw of sola scriptura. Both you and Baptists believe that you are following Scripture. Of course, in this case, Baptists are correct. Baptism is necessary, since Christ was Baptized, the Apostles Baptized, and it is what "saves you now," according to Peter.
"You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You." St. Augustine of Hippo
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/26/2006 at 11:50:53  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

Proof of the flaw of sola scriptura. Both you and Baptists believe that you are following Scripture. Of course, in this case, Baptists are correct. Baptism is necessary, since Christ was Baptized, the Apostles Baptized, and it is what "saves you now," according to Peter.

How about according to Jesus instead of A peter or a John the baptist to get wet?
I may or may not believe coming forward is a necessary condition for salvation. But, if I clearly taught elsewhere that repentance/belief alone was sufficient no one would think coming forward is necessary for salvation,or water baptism is necessary for salvation.
Edited by evangelist on 09/26/2006 11:51:24
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 09/26/2006 at 12:42:48  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Well, let's see:

He sent the Apostles out to Baptize.
He Himself was Baptized.
He Himself told them to make disciples of all nations, baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Plus, God inspired the writers of the Gospels, Acts, and the Epistles, and we know that Scripture has no mistakes in it.
"You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You." St. Augustine of Hippo
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
    View alcovey's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 09/26/2006 at 13:02:00  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
We've shown you proof from Jesus, Peter, Paul and everywhere in between - but you are spiritually blinded to what the Bible teaches about baptism. This is clearly evidenced by you irreverently referring to such a holy sacrament as 'getting wet'. It is no wonder God hides His spiritual riches from those who would treat them with such disdain.
In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Edited by alcovey on 09/26/2006 13:03:56
Go to Top of Page
    • 18reputation
    • 2355 Posts
    Fourth Member  
    Member since 09/25/2006
    View ortho's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 09/26/2006 at 13:46:29  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
He really does. it makes me sad sometimes
Go to Top of Page
    • 0reputation
    • 86 Posts
    Member since 09/24/2006
    View AEG's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 09/27/2006 at 01:45:30  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
I am starting to see how you catholics think. You put up in the top advertizing Baptist, Protestant, catholic discussion and when those people arrive ya punce on them and berate them, well except for Alcovy and Admin, they have it together so to speak. You claim to understand "Us", we try to get our point across and then get flooded by St. whoever said this and so forth. I even saw earlier on another thread where one catholic person said condescendingly that Evangelist likes to just throw out scriptures like the rest of the protestants or something like that. Man what rhetoric. Ortho can't even talk civil to people. Diana or whatever her name is so condscending and by the way must be a baptist in disguise if you see how she throws out pages and pages and pages of scripture passages. Oh well, I guess thats what Love is all about! I even admit I was angry spirited in the beginning, but I decided that was counter productive and wrong. Why don't you guys show some love man..........geeez..........this is getting old real fast.
Go to Top of Page
    • 0reputation
    • 662 Posts
    Fifth Member  
    Contact:  Send Benedict an AOL message  Click to see Benedict's MSN Messenger address  Send Benedict a Yahoo! Message  PM
    Member since 04/08/2004
    View Benedict's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 09/27/2006 at 01:50:44  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
You are heading right back towards counter-productive, AEG.

Also, this is not a Catholic website.
Go to Top of Page
    • 0reputation
    • 86 Posts
    Member since 09/24/2006
    View AEG's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 09/27/2006 at 02:03:59  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
How is stating facts Counter-productive...........I was asking for some middle ground here or maybe some respectful dialog.......is that a problem? Is that counter-productive?
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
    View alcovey's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 09/27/2006 at 07:33:22  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
AEG,
quote:
Originally posted by AEG
I even saw earlier on another thread where one catholic person said condescendingly that Evangelist likes to just throw out scriptures like the rest of the protestants or something like that. Man what rhetoric.

I don't remember any comment quite like that, but you may wish to reserve judgment until you've been here a while. I think even the Protestants will agree that overall, we've been very patient with Evangelist. He is in a class all his own - and really is not representative of a lot of charismatics, let alone all Protestants.

But in a debate atmosphere, yes some rhetoric does get thrown by all sides - you've already thrown quite a bit as well.
quote:

Ortho can't even talk civil to people. Diana or whatever her name is so condscending and by the way must be a baptist in disguise if you see how she throws out pages and pages and pages of scripture passages.

Hold it. First, we don't use enough Scriptures and now you are complaining when somebody does? Again, I think there is some prejudgment going on here.
quote:

Oh well, I guess thats what Love is all about! I even admit I was angry spirited in the beginning, but I decided that was counter productive and wrong. Why don't you guys show some love man..........geeez..........this is getting old real fast.

Patience, my friend. Believe it or not, we need it for you also.
In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11
Next Page

Newest Topics

by Astralis...

Recent Topics

1 replies

Newest Updates

Jump To:
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion © 2002-2014 Spero Subscribe by Email RSS Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000