Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion
Username: Password: Save Password Forgot your Password?
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion

St.Therese of Lisieux (The Little Flower)

• 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
    View alcovey's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 07/03/2003 at 16:25:18  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
One of the things that is attractive about the Catholic Faith, is that there is mutual honor of men and women. Sometimes Catholicism is accused of being a 'patriarchal' or somehow chauvenistic - 'I mean, why can't women be priests?' - But married men and those not called can't be priests either. But in regards to the Saints - we see many incredible women of God. One such woman is Saint Therese of Lisieux.

quote:

St. Therese (The Little Flower)
Miracle Worker, "The Greatest Saint of Modern Times"

Theresa Martin entered a Carmelite convent at the age of fifteen. As Sister Therese of the Child Jesus, she lived a hidden life. She was just twenty-four when she died. The World came to know here through her autobiography, “The Story of A. Soul.” She described her life as “a little way of spiritual childhood.” She lived each day with unshakable confidence in God’s love. What matters in life is “not great deeds, but great love.” “My mission--to make God loved--will begin after my death,” she said. “I will spend my heaven doing good on earth. I will let fall a shower of roses.” Countless lives have been touched by her intercession, and thousands have imitated her “little way.” She has been acclaimed the greatest saint of modern times.” Everywhere in the world the roses continue to fall. The portrait of St. Therese (cover) by her sister, Celine, is considered the most authentic representation of the Saint ever done. The original is in Darien, Ill.

“I will let fall from Heaven...a Shower of Roses”
--St. Therese

MIRACULOUS INVOCATION TO
ST. THERESE

O glorious Saint Therese, whom almighty God has raised up to aid and counsel mankind, I implore your Miraculous Intercession. So powerful are you in obtaining every need of body and soul our Holy Mother Church proclaims you a “Prodigy of Miracles...the Greatest Saint of Modern times.” Now I fervently beseech you to answer my petition (mention here) and to carry out your promises of spending Heaven doing good upon earth...of letting fall from Heaven a Shower of Roses. Henceforth, dear Little Flower, I will fulfill your plea” to be made known everywhere” and I will never cease to lead others to Jesus through you. Amen

O Little Therese of the Child Jesus,
please pick for me a rose from the heavenly gardens
and send it to me as a message of love.

O Little Flower of Jesus,
ask God today to grant the favors
I now place with confidence in your hands....

(mention specific requests)

St. Therese, help me to always believe,
as you did, in God's great love for me
so that I might imitate your "Little Way" each day.

Amen.

St. Therese of Lisieux, the "Little Flower"
quote:

Therese Martin was born in Alencon France in 1873, the youngest of nine children. Her father, Louis, was a successful watchmaker and jeweler. Her mother Zelie Guerin, built a cottage industry in lace making, beginning in the village of Alencon, which is known for its delicate lace. Four of Therese's siblings died at a young age; the remaining five girls eventually all entered the convent, so deep was their call to sanctity. Four became contemplative Carmelite Nuns at the Lisieux Carmel, and one became a Visitation sister.

Therese wasn't always a nun nor was she always a saint. She was a very regular little girl, who was rather sensitive. In fact, she seemed like a spoiled little girl, who would stomp her feet and have a temper tantrum if she did not get her own way. After the death of her mother,
In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
from the community...
    • Adminreputation
    • 10543 Posts
    Forum Admin  
    Member since 07/25/2001
    View Astralis's full profile or recent posts
What I'm reading/watching/listening to now.
Posted on 07/04/2003 at 09:54:46  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
This essay that I read on St. Therese is enlightening and taught me much more about here. She had such a great devotion to Jesus - truly someone we should emulate. She also is a teacher of contemplative prayer.

Read about St. Therese but be prepared to spend a lot of time reading it or break it in parts.
"Look on the bright side, if this is the best they've got around here, in six months we'll be running this planet." (Planet of the Apes)
Go to Top of Page
    • 120reputation
    • 11121 Posts
    First Member  
    Member since 05/10/2002
    View alcovey's full profile or recent posts
Posted on 07/04/2003 at 12:09:13  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Looks good - I skimmed it and copied it for future reference. It brought up a few points that I will bring up in another thread.

It was mentioned a 'dark night of the senses' (St. John of The Cross) - Some people may not have ever experienced such a thing. I notice that different ones of us are 'wired' differently, and some come more from an intellectual or practical approach, and may never have 'heard God's voice' or had an 'inner locution' (a fairly new term to me), and others are more emotional, more subjective in how they come to understand and know God.

For a true mystic, one who is used to having a 'tangible sense' of God's presence - the dark night of the soul can be quite troubling. And worse yet, if you are an Evangelical, and don't have access to the mystical writings, it can be quite distressing, lonely and confusing.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 07/04/2003 at 13:15:28  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Thank you Allen for sharing this inspiring story of St. Therese'. Again, as in every day when I read the small exerpts in MAGNIFICAT on the lives of the saints, I am truly humbled by their lives and their example of what it means to be a saint, and how far I have to grow in my spiritualty ... oh, but by the grace of God I go.

quote:
Her spirituality is simple, childlike, profound and human - it is refreshing in our confusing and complicated age.

Yes, truly amazing, simple, yet profound! I can hardly wait to see the movie.
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 07/04/2003 at 14:26:22  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Alcovey, a while back, I registered on the St. Therese website to receive updates about the movie. Yesterday, I received this email and thought I'd share it with all ...

quote:
Dear friend of THERESE,

Imagine Saint Therese of Lisieux in mainstream theaters helping to bring the beauty of classic film favorites like THE TEN COMMANDMENTS to today's film audiences who now seek innovative cinematic experiences like LORD OF THE RINGS. It can be done - by simply visiting http://www.theresemovie.com. Every time you visit the site, you are helping to bring the beautifully refreshing message of THERESE to mainstream theaters worldwide.

You are the voice of THERESE and Hollywood is listening! If you desire to see THERESE in your local movie theater, the following are some ways to make your voice heard.

As of June 30th, http://www.theresemovie.com has received 500,000 visits. Thank you for all your efforts! However, the goal is one million visits by July 20th, so please keep visiting the website and spread the word by forwarding this e-mail! By doing so, you will show Hollywood you want to see THERESE. Film distribution companies study website statistics for market analysis-with one million visits to http://www.theresemovie.com by July 20th, Hollywood distributors will see the huge audience potential for THERESE.

SHARE THERESE: Throughout the upcoming Independence Day festivities, share THERESE and the film website with your friends and family. Encourage them to voice their desire for spiritual films like THERESE to help bring about a new renaissance of Christian filmmaking in Hollywood.

E-MAIL CAMPAIGN: Send an e-mail to your e-mail list, asking them to visit the website. Have them forward the message along to their friends as well.

VOTE FOR THERESE: Click on the "Showing the Miracle" page of the website and submitting the form entitled "Bring THERESE to a Mainstream Theater near you."

BULLETIN ANNOUNCEMENT: Place a notice in your parish bulletin or vestibule area. You can also send out an announcement to all the parishes in your diocese. Contact our office for these materials by e-mailing info@theresemovie.com or call (503) 524-7760.

CREATE A THERESE BUZZ: Create awareness among Christian businesses and organizations. Place a notice in their newsletter. The film industry will not take this spiritual film seriously unless we show them a high level of support from people who want to see THERESE in movie theaters.

VOLUNTEER FOR THERESE: Join the Luke Films volunteer program to promote THERESE on an on-going basis in your local area! Contact
info@theresemovie.com to receive more information on the volunteer program as well as promotional materials to share the message of THERESE and the film's website in your community.

We will keep you periodically updated on the latest THERESE news and ask that you continue to hold THERESE in your prayers. Thank you for your incredible support and for your desire to help bring THERESE to a movie theater near you!

May God bless you!

Leonardo Defilippis
President
Luke Films, Inc.

Spread the news! God bless Leonardo Defilippis efforts in bringing this incredible truth to secular mainstream America!
Go to Top of Page
    • Adminreputation
    • 10543 Posts
    Forum Admin  
    Member since 07/25/2001
    View Astralis's full profile or recent posts
What I'm reading/watching/listening to now.
Posted on 07/04/2003 at 15:11:11  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
Thank you Abiding!

I visited the site a long time ago and it's amazing to see how far the film has come.

Allen,

You are correct about the Dark Night of the Soul. It's very scary, I'm sure. But, it's also a time of purgation and on the other side of the night you are a changed person - devoted to love, devoted to God.

It's interesting that St. Therese could recite by heart St. Frances de Sales' book, "Imitation of Christ".
"Look on the bright side, if this is the best they've got around here, in six months we'll be running this planet." (Planet of the Apes)
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 04/22/2004 at 00:59:23  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
I have a strong affection for St Therese. I am reading 'Story of a Soul' right now. I have also read 'Thoughts of St Therese' and am also reading 'Apparitions of Modern Saints' which discussed St Therese's appearances quite a bit. She is a busy little lady!

Much love to you "little flower."
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 05/08/2006 at 04:29:58  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
In Minnesota on Highway 169 near Mille Lacs Lake there is an Indian Mission Church called St. Therese of Lisieux(The Little Flower Girl).
Edited by Robert Mazar on 05/08/2006 04:30:22
Go to Top of Page
Posted on 01/25/2011 at 18:43:05  |  Reply  |  Report Abuse |  0
[color=purple]Individual blogs are a true in the works to swift yourself and share your views here the area with friends, children, and the doze of the world. Blogging can also be a great going to create a backer stream of part-time income. Most people that start unconscious to assemble their personal bllog arrange hugely tiny encounter or webmaster skills. In fact, most people that yearn for to get started online be suffering with no suggest what Lunarpages Coupon hosting is until they begin the make of building their site.[/color]

[url=http://lunarpages4.info ]Lunarpages Coupon[/url] [color=purple]is instances seen as the item cape to the network hosting assiduity, remarkably in the interest probationer webmasters that are looking payment a simple hosting plan. Most people start discernible with shared trap hosting in the vanguard affecting on to more sweeping hosting plans like VPS and dedicated hosting. In any event, shared hosting does advance a sensations lasting hosting blend for the treatment of the as a rule blogger. The following intelligence outlines why shared entanglement hosting is perfect fit most blogging sites, as well as the imbecile course of action of locale up a Lunarpages Discount.[/color]
Go to Top of Page

Newest Topics

by alcovey...

Recent Topics

0 replies

Newest Updates

0 replies
Jump To:
Spero Forum - Baptist, Protestant, and Catholic Discussion © 2002-2014 Spero Subscribe by Email RSS Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000