Another Opposition Newspaper Shut Down In Kyrgyzstan

world | Apr 01, 2010 | By RFE/RL 

A Kyrgyz opposition newspaper said it has been ordered by a Bishkek district court today to cease publication, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service reports.

Yryskeldy Mombekov, the chief editor of the newspaper "Forum," told RFE/RL that a Bishkek district court ruled today that his publication could no longer be published. The court decision was made after a district prosecutor charged that some articles in the newspaper's March 30 issue "called for the forcible overthrow of the country's constitutional system."

The court ruling was delivered today to the "Forum's" offices in Bishkek.

Mombekov says the court ruling is politically motivated. He said the authorities are cracking down on independent media outlets ahead of protests scheduled by opposition groups on April 7.

Mombekov says he will challenge the court's decision in a higher court.

Police confiscated 7,000 copies of the March 15 edition of "Forum."

Two other opposition newspapers -- "Achyk Sayasat" (Open Politics) and "Nazar" (View) -- were shut down in Kyrgyzstan last month.

Also in March, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz programs were dropped from local FM radio stations and access to the independent websites Ferghana.ru and Centrasia.ru have been blocked. 

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link
Copyright (c) RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS