Delegations Walk Out On Ahmadinejad At UN

world | Sep 24, 2010 | By RFE/RL 

Delegations from the United States, the European Union and other countries have walked out of the United Nations in protest after Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad suggested in a speech that the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks may have been orchestrated by elements within the U.S. government.

 

Even before Ahmadinejad finished his speech to the UN General Assembly on September 23, the U.S. mission to the UN released a statement condemning the Iranian leader's comments as "vile conspiracy theories and anti-Semitic slurs that are as abhorrent and delusional as they are predictable."

 

The White House said President Barack Obama found the comments "utterly outrageous and offensive" -- especially as Ahmadinejad delivered them in New York City, where the World Trade Center towers collapsed as a result of the September 11 attacks.

 

The European Union's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton described the Iranian leader's comments as "outrageous and unacceptable."

 

In addition to the U.S. and EU, other countries that walked out of the speech are reported to include Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Costa Rica.

 

In his comments, Ahmadinejad said segments of the U.S. government may have been involved in carrying out the September 11 attacks in order to improve the U.S. economy, increase U.S. influence in the Middle East, and assure Israel's survival.

 

The Iranian president also presented two other theories -- that the attacks were carried out by a "powerful and complex terrorist group" which had been able to penetrate U.S. intelligence and defenses; and that the attacks were perpetrated by what he called "a terrorist group" whose activities were exploited by American government officials.

 

U.S. officials have said the September 11 airliner suicide hijacking attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people, were carried out by operatives of the Al-Qaeda network led by Osama bin Laden.

 

compiled from agency reports

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link
Copyright (c) RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS