Five terrorists were released by the Obama administration from the detention facility at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, according to an announcement late on November 15. The five Yemeni detainees are:
 
Ali Ahmad Muhammad al-Razihi, Khalid Abd-al-Jabbar Muhammad Uthman al-Qadasi, Adil Said al-Hajj Ubayd al-Busays, Sulayman Awad Bin Uqayl al-Nahdi, and Fahmi Salem Said al-Asani.
 
According to the Department of Defense, it was only after a “comprehensive review” by the Guantanamo Review Task Force that the terrorists were accorded their freedom. The five Yemenis will be resettled in the United Arab Emirates in the Persian Gulf, since DoD believes they no longer pose a threat to national security. They were arrested while they fled the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in 2012. They have been described as described as low-level combatants, according to DoD assessments.
 
Detainees al-Qadasi, al-Busays, al-Nahdi, and al-Asani had been recommended for release by the task force as of January 2010. As for al-Razihi, a former bodyguard of al-Qaeda terrorist mastermind Usama bin Laden, he is believed that have been fighting against the rebel Northern Alliance before the arrival of American forces. He has been described  by the task force as a “medium [security] risk [who] may pose a threat to the US, its interests, and allies.” The recommendation was overruled, however, by a review board that then recommended his release.
 
President Barack Obama had promised during his 2008 campaign that he would closed the Guantánamo Bay detention facility. Faced with intense Congressional opposition, he has not closed the facility but has released approximately half of the detainees.
 
Congress has passed legislation to prohibit the incarceration of terrorists in the U.S. However, there are rumors that he may use his executive powers to bring the them to the continental U.S. Currently, DoD is working on plans to bring detainees to Colorado, Kansas, and South Carolina.

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link

Spero News writer Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. His first novel 'Shaken Earth', is available at Amazon.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS