In May, a district manager of a Chicago Burger King, Jay Darshane, accused police officers of deleting security video while spending three hours at the restaurant on the night of the police shooting of LaQuan McDonald.
Darshane said the recording equipment worked but 86 minutes of the footage, from 9:13 pm to 10:39 pm became missing after the officers left the establishment.
The shooting of 17-year-old McDonald, who had a knife in his hand while walking down the middle of the street, happened at 9:57 pm on Oct. 20, 2014. Since the shooting, activists -- including the editorial board of the Chicago Sun-Times -- demanded the police and the mayor to release footage of the shooting from the dashboard of the police cruiser. One day before releasing the video to the public, prosecutors said they would charge Officer Jason Van Dyke with first degree murder. The footage shows Van Dyke shooting McDonald 16 times after the officer stepped out of his cruiser.
A reporter from News 5 Chicago asked Darshane if he was certain the officers deleted video of the shooting. Darshane answered, “Yes.”
“We had no idea they were going to sit there and delete files,” Darshane said. “I mean we were just trying to help the police officers.”
Police Superintendant Garry McCarthy blamed the missing 86 minutes of footage on technical difficulties.
Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said at a press conference last week that no one tampered with the Burger King surveillance video. During a follow-up question, asking her if she knew who conducted the forensic testing, Alvarez responded, "That's all I’m going to say on this."
After street protests and criticism pointed at McCarthy, Mayor Rahm Emanuel dismissed him this morning.
NOTE: Video is embedded from a YouTube channel unrelated to Spero News.