Law enforcement authorities in Boston made a breakthrough in a third day of investigating the circumstances of the deadly April 15 bombing at the Boston Marathon. While the identity of the suspect and motives were not made available, investigators have detained a suspect on the basis of videos taken before the detonation of two bombs by the alleged attacker or attackers. One of the videos was taken from surveillance CCTV at a nearby Lord & Taylor department store on Boylston Street in Boston. The other video was provided by a local Boston TV station.
(Lord & Taylor store that provided video evidence)
(Update: Boston Police tweeted that, contrary to media reports, no suspect has been taken in the case. However, a report from Al Jazeera indicates that an arrest is imminent)
The arrest and breakthrough in the hunt for the perpetrators came less than 48 hours after the deadly attack. A briefing is expected later today. See video here.
“The camera from Lord & Taylor is the best source of video so far,” said Dot Joyce, a spokeswoman for Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino told the Boston Globe. “All I know is that they are making progress.”
On the same day, investigators revealed that at least one of the bombs that delivered the two deadly blasts was contained in a pressure cooker, spraying shrapnel. Three persons were killed and dozens more injured. According to the FBI, it is not clear whether the second bomb was also contained in a pressure cooker.
There was also an unrelated scare in Washington DC, where Congress and the White House both received mail containing white powder. In the case of the office of Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi, the substance found in an envelope delivered to his office was identified as ricin – a deadly toxin. Another similar letter was also intercepted by a White House mail facility on April 16.
U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...