Black activists in St. Louis are protesting the police shooting of an 18-year-old African American on Wednesday.

According to St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson, the shooting occured when Mansur Ball-Bey and another black youth ran out of a back door of a house where police officers were serving a search warrant.

The officers ordered the pair to stop in an alley behind the house. Dotson said one of the suspects pointed a gun at the police and the officers fired four times, killing Mansur. The other suspect fled.

"Detectives were looking for guns, looking for violent felons, looking for people that have been committing crimes in the neighborhood," Dotson said.

Police said they found crack cocaine and stolen guns at the scene.

The dead teen's family said they could not believe the police account of events, saying Ball-Bey, who went by Man Man, was incapable of the alleged crimes, saying he held a steady job and was heading to college.

DeAndre Cody, a cousin, said the family wants "the truth brought to light."

"Man Man was very respectful. We can't imagine him pulling a gun on an officer. He's never conducted himself like that and he was raised better than that," Cody told the New York Daily News.

"We just want the facts. We don't believe the facts are being told. They won't even tell us where they took his body."

Ball-Bey's dad, Dennis, said does not believe the police and plans to consult lawyers to investigate.

"It was a bad loss, but he was a good son. All these people loved him. He wasn’t the type to run the streets or be disrespectful to the family," Dennis Ball-Bey told the Daily News.

According to the family, Ball-Bey stopped at his aunt's house to pick up his cousin on his way home from his part-time job at FedEx. His cousin, Tyren Cotton-Booker, said Ball-Bey was shot while still in his FedEx uniform.

On social media accounts, Ball-Bey posted photos while holding guns. But his father said the real handguns were only props for his music videos.

"They make rap songs and videos and call it gangsta rap," Dennis Ball-Bey said. "They was making music."

The officers involved in the shooting were white, aged 33 and 29, each serving about seven years with the St. Louis Police Department.

Mansur Ball-Bey poses with a gun while in bed. (Instagram)

The shooting happened as activists were already marching to protest the shooting of another black man, Kajieme Powell, in St. Louis a year ago. After hearing about the shooting, the protesters gathered at a nearby intersection and then re-organized later that evening.

The protesters threw bricks and glass bottles at police who threw tear gas into the crowd. A car was set on fire and store owners reported an increase in attempted robberies.

A St. Louis alderman tweeted that a vacant house was on fire.

”Tonight was supposed to be peaceful. We were supposed to be remembering #KajiemePowell. Not watching the city burn,” tweeted by Hands Up United, a race-based organization founded after the shooting death of black teenager, Michael Brown, in Ferguson. Ferguson is a suburb of St. Louis.

Nine protesters were arrested for blocking traffick. One protester was arrested for resisting arrest.

Ball-Bey graduated from McCluer South Bekeley High School in Ferguson in May. His Facebook page said he studied at Harvard University. His cousin, Cody, said Mansur was not planning to study at Harvard but did not disclose where he was heading to college.

Earlier in the week, a 93-year-old black Tuskegee airman was robbed and then his car was stolen while seeking help in the same neighborhood.

And on Thursday in Ferguson, a 9-year-old African American girl was killed in her home by a stray bullet from a drive-by shooting while she was doing homework. School started on Monday.

Mansur Ball-Bey poses with a gun and posted to his social media account. (Instagram)

Mansur Ball-Bey graduated from McCluer South Bekeley High School in Ferguson in May.

Mansure Ball-Bey graduated from McCluer South Bekeley High School in Ferguson in May.

Mansur Ball-Bey posted on his social media accounts that he aspired to become a rapper.

Mansur Ball-Bey was nicnamed Man Man.



Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...


Short Link

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.