The Obama administration has been caught misrepresenting the nuclear program of Iran. Despite U.S. claims that the Islamic Republic has frozen the controversial program, the New York Times reported on June 2 that inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency recently uncovered the fact that Iran’s nuclear fuel stockpile has increased by 20 percent over the last year and a half. These revelations have mystified diplomats and governments in West. NYT says analysts believe that Iran, during the current negotiations between the P5+1 powers and Iran, is formulating a contingency plan should the talks fail. The experts also assert that Iran may have run up against technical issues that have made their enriched uranium stockpile unuseable for weaponization.
The revelation may frustrate the Obama administration in its attempts to persuade Congress to support a nuclear agreement with Iran. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu famously called it a “bad deal” while he was campaigning for re-election this year. He had urged the U.S. to desist from pursuing the deal when he addressed a joint session of Congress in March.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said after six hours of negotiating with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on May 30 that Iran will discuss other solutions to demands made by the P5 countries, including the U.S., to allow international inspectors to tour military sites and interview scientists in Iran. So far, the requested access has been the main obstacle to reaching a deal between Iran and the six Western powers involved in the talks.
Zarif did not say how his country plans to resolve the impasse. "We have decided to work full time for the next three or four weeks to see whether or not it will be possible to reach an agreement," he said.