Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Mike Pence will no longer attend a Republican event in Wisconsin with House Speaker Paul Ryan, following the flap over a 2005 video that showed Donald Trump making vulgar comments about women.
My statement below: pic.twitter.com/92VYEAxIcl— Mike Pence (@mike_pence) October 8, 2016
Trump has apologized for the decade-old remarks, and wife Melania has asked the American people to accept the apology.
Indiana governor Pence was to appear at the event today in Trump’s stead, but has since canceled. Today, Pence released a statement denouncing Trump’s remarks. Other Republicans, some of who had already said that they would not vote for or endorse him, have also issued remarks of repudiation.
Trump wants to kiss people.— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) October 8, 2016
Hillary wants to drone strike them.
Love trumps hate.#TrumpTapes
Pence stated, "As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the 11-year-old video released yesterday.” "I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people. We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night."
agree or disagree (informal poll) it's worse when the governor of Arkansas or POTUS rapes people than when a citizen rapes ppl? thoughts?— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) October 8, 2016
Pence stated furthermore, "I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests." House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) canceled Trump's appearance at the event in Wisconsin while announcing that he was "sickened" by Trump's remarks. "Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified," Ryan said.
Two of Trump’s primary opponents, Carly Fiorina and Jeb Bush, have joined other Republicans and conservatives to call on Trump to drop out of the presidential race. Trump said today that there is “no way” that he will pull out of the contest while reiterating that he has widespread support. There are others who jumped to his defense.
Actress Roseanne Barr, who was once a leftist presidential candidate, posted a series of Tweets in which called attention to former President Bill Clinton’s sexual peccadillos in the White House and as governor of Arkansas. She and others have also pointed out that Clinton paid his accuser Gennifer Flowers $800,000 to settle claims of sexual harassment, while Hillary Clinton is said to have campaigned to silence other women who claim to have been raped by her husband. Roseanne Barr tweeted today, “Wow, a candidate who admits wrongdoing and apologizes? Check it out, HRC,” while directing herself to Hillary (Rodham) Clinton.
Also coming to Trump’s defense was author and controversialist Ann Coulter. She noted that some of the Republicans who are calling for Trump to drop out had already said they would not support him. She stated on Twitter, “I can't find anyone who wasn’t anti-Trump “withdrawing” support? Media: ANA NAVARRO, BEN SASSE & BILL KRISTOL WON'T SUPPORT TRUMP!”
I can't find anyone who wasn’t anti-Trump “withdrawing” support? Media: ANA NAVARRO, BEN SASSE & BILL KRISTOL WON'T SUPPORT TRUMP!#evergreen— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) October 8, 2016