Obama's war in Afghanistan

politics | Nov 22, 2014 | By Martin Barillas

Thanks to a secret order signed by President Barack Obama, U.S. troops are set to keep their boots on the ground in Afghanistan. According to a November 21 report in the New York Times, the new order allows troops to seek out and destroy enemy combatants. Their missions may include wiping out units of Taliban insurgents and allied groups, ostensibly with the help of Afghan army forces. Previous war plans limited U.S. forces to chasing down al-Qaida,
 
With the order, the war in Afghanistan has received a new moniker: Operation Resolute Support.
 
In the report by the New York Times, there had been "heated debate" within Obama's coterie of advisors over DoD demands as opposed to the president's stated purpose of closing the book on U.S. involvement in the restless Central Asian country. His decision to bump up American involvement was met with dissonance on the part of civilian advisors, according to the report.
 
An anonymous Obama administration official told the New York Times that “the military pretty much got what it wanted.” In addition, it was reported that American forces will continue to have an ability to take the offense to insurgent Afghani fighters. Among the elements in the U.S panoply for Resolute Support are fighter jets and B-1 bombers, as well as Predator and Reaper unmanned drones.
 
The new order appears to contradict Obama's promise of May 2014 in which he heralded an end to U.S combat operations in Afghanistan by the end of this year. He also said then that by this time next year that half of the remaining 9,800 troops would be withdrawn. It was said then that only a security detail, probably U.S. Marines, would be left in-country to protect the U.S consulate, but only until the end of 2016.

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link

Spero News writer Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. His first novel 'Shaken Earth', is available at Amazon.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS