Republican Congressman Jim Jordan of Ohio, who has been one of the most dogged of interrogators on the House Select Committee on Intelligence, on the various investigations into the 2016 presidential race and supposed Russian meddling, is demanding that the FBI and the Department of Justice surrender documents requested by Committee Chair Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.). In a series of tweets, Congressman Jordan had 18 pertinent questions for the FBI and the Department of Justice.
Jordan and Nunes want to know if the FBI paid former British spy Christopher Steele, who produced the salacious uncorroborated dossier on Donald Trump during the presidential campaign, at the same time that the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s campaign were paying for it.
18) And why would @SenSchumer, leader of the Democrat party, publicly warn President-elect Trump on Jan. 3, 2017 that when you mess with the “intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you?”— Rep. Jim Jordan (@Jim_Jordan) January 3, 2018
Steel authored the dossier that contained allegations that Trump was linked to Russians. It was prepared for Fusion GPS, a research firm paid by the DNC and the Clinton campaign.
House Intelligence Committee chairman Nunes blasted the FBI and DOJ for failing to fully produce documents relating to the anti-Trump dossier, while adding that bot the DOJ and FBI should investigate themselves. In a December 28 letter to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, Nunes wrote, “Unfortunately, DOJ/FBI’s intransigence with respect to the August 24 subpoenas is part of a broader pattern of behavior that can no longer be tolerated.” Nunes added, “As a result of the numerous delays and discrepancies that have hampered the process of subpoena compliance, the committee no longer credits the representations made by DOJ and/or the FBI regarding these matters.”
1) Did the FBI pay Christopher Steele, author of the dossier?— Rep. Jim Jordan (@Jim_Jordan) January 3, 2018
Last June, former FBI Director James Comey said the Trump dossier was unverified. But Jordan says his committee still needs answers from the agency.
Here is a full list of Jordan’s 18 questions:
1) Did the FBI pay Christopher Steele, author of the dossier?
2) Was the dossier the basis for securing FISA warrants to spy on Americans? And why won’t the FBI show Congress the FISA application?
3) When did the FBI get the complete dossier and who gave it to them?
4) Did the FBI validate and corroborate the dossier?
5) Did Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, or Bruce Orr work on the FISA application?
6) Why and how often did DOJ lawyer Bruce Orr meet with dossier author Christopher Steele during the 2016 campaign?
7) Why did DOJ lawyer Bruce Orr meet with Fusion GPS founder Glenn Simpson after the election? To get their story straight after their candidate Clinton lost? Or to double down and plan how they were going to go after President-elect Trump?
8) When and how did the FBI learn that DOJ lawyer Bruce Orr’s wife, Nellie Orr, worked for Fusion GPS? And what exactly was Nellie Orr’s role in putting together the dossier?
9) Why did the FBI release text messages between Peter Strzok and Lisa Page? Normally, ongoing investigation is reason not to make such information public.
10) And why did FBI release only 375/10,000+ texts? Were they the best? Worst? Or part of a broader strategy to focus attention away from something else? And when can Americans see the other 96% of texts?
11) Why did Lisa Page leave Mueller probe two weeks before Peter Strzok? This was two weeks before FBI and Special Counsel even knew about the texts.
12) Why did the intelligence community wait two months after the election to brief President-elect Trump on the dossier (January 6, 2017)? Why was James Comey selected to do the briefing?
13) Was the briefing done to “legitimize” the dossier? And who leaked the fact that the briefing was about the dossier?
14) The New York Times reported last week that George Popadopoulos’ loose lips were a catalyst for launching the Russia investigation. Was President-elect Trump briefed on this?
15) Why did Fusion GPS founder Glenn Simpson meet with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya before and after her meeting with Donald Trump Jr.?
16) Why was FBI General Counsel Jim Baker reassigned two weeks ago? Was he the source for the first story on the dossier by David Corn on October 31, 2016? Or was it someone else at the FBI?
17) Why won’t the FBI give Congress the documents it’s requesting?
18) And why would @SenSchumer, leader of the Democrat party, publicly warn President-elect Trump on Jan. 3, 2017 that when you mess with the “intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you?”