Swedes are outraged after reports circulated that seven male asylum-seekers attacked and raped a wheelchair-bound woman.  Swedish poilce report that the 30-year-old disabled woman was gang raped by the six men after she had asked to use a toilet at an asylum center after sharing a taxi with a resident of the center. Once she was invited inside, she was raped by the man and six of his fellow migrants. 
 
Furious Swede assailed a migrant reception center in Visby, chucking rocks at it. Attorney Staffan Fredriksson, the victim's representative, told local newspaper Aftonbladlet: "She followed him in and had no fears that something would happen. Then the man took advantage of the situation. The abuse started in the toilet. Where they came from we don’t know. This was going on for a couple of hours. She got paralyzed in this situation and was not able to bring herself to resist physically, other than saying no.”
 
Fredriksson added, "She is completely broken down."
 
Five men in their 20s have since been arrested by Swedish police following the incident on October 2. So far, authorities have not released the men's nationalities or identities.
 
Sweden has been one of the most generous countries in Europe in accepting migrants and refugees from some of the most violent places in the world, including Afghanistan, Somalia, and Syria. In 2015, Sweden accepted more than 200,000 asylum seekers: approximately 2 percent of its population.
 
Germany, by comparison, accepted the equivalent of 1 percent over the same period.
 
Police are sending reinforcements to Gotland to dampen unrest that arose from the gang rape. Threats to prosecutors and police were reported during demonstrations of outrage over the crime by the migrants. Two people are under investigation for alleged unlawful conduct towards public officials, and trespassing. Sweden’s national police said that calm had been restored to Gotland island. Police reinforcements were departing as of October 11.
 
When a prosecutor decided that there was not enough evidence to hold the five men, the situation on Gotland first took a turn for the worse. The suspects were released. All five men have denied the accusations against. One of them claimed to have had consensual sex with the woman. However, a criminal investigation is still ongoing.
 
Forensic samples taken from the scene of the alleged crime are being analyzed at Sweden’s National Forensic Centre (NFC). Local newspaper Hela Gotland reports that investigators are hoping to learn new details. "What the results show could change the situation," said attorney Fredriksson to the newspaper.

SHARE THIS

READ NEXT

Remains of WW2 pilot found on the bottom of Pacific Ocean

U.S. Navy personnel have discovered the remains of an American aviator who was shot down in combat over the Pacific Ocean in 1944. A team aboard USNS ...



SHARE

Short Link

Spero News writer Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. His first novel 'Shaken Earth', is available at Amazon.

Do you like what you just read?

Back our investigations with an immediate financial contribution. Spero News operates on the financial support from you and people like you who believe in media independence and free speech.

Comments

RELATED NEWS