Spero News

Fox News pulls 'racist' Trump ad
Responding to those who criticized his ad of last week concerning border security as “offensive,” President Trump said on Monday that som ...
 
Monday, November 05, 2018
by Martin Barillas
 

Responding to those who criticized his ad of last week concerning border security as “offensive,” President Trump said on Monday that some reporters’ questions are “offensive.” When a reporter asked the president about the ad, which both NBC and Fox pulled from their networks on Monday, Trump said, "I don’t know about it." Trump said, "We have a lot of ads. And they certainly are effective, based on the numbers that we’re seeing."  

When a reporter pressed him further, Trump said, “A lot of things are offensive," and "Your questions are offensive a lot of times so, you know." 

Fox and Facebook have also pulled the ad. 

The ad, which progressives and immigration advocates found so offensive, links the four so-called migrant caravans currently headed toward the southern border of the U.S. from Mexico and Central America. The ad featured Luis Bracamontes, an illegal alien who is accused of killing to police officers in the United States. The ad accuses Democrats of bringing people such as Bracamontes to the country, particularly through the caravan.  

Over the weekend, CNN labelled the ad as “racist,” having declined to air the ad. Denizens of Hollywood were also quick to label Trump’s ad. Actress Debra Messing tweeted to her fans, labelling the ad “disgusting” and “racist.”

Luis Bracamontes is a Mexican national who was convicted of the murder of two Sacramento, California, sheriff’s deputies in 2014. The ad said, “Dangerous illegal criminals like cop killer Luis Bracamontes don’t care about our laws.” Last week, Trump shared an featuring Bracamonte that said that Democrats “let him into our country” and “let him stay.” CNN gave extensive editorial coverage to a longer version of the ad, which anchors and chyrons declared “racist.”

Democrats and progressives condemned the ad. Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona called it “sickening.” He is not running for reelection this year.
 

 

 



Spero News writer Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. His first novel 'Shaken Earth', is available at Amazon.


Copyright © 2019 Spero